Indoors clothes interchangeable with the now omnipresent space suit
At present our character is wearing his space suit all the time. Only difference is a visor on the helmet being open or closed.
That is awkward.
Real astronauts will wear their space suits only when exposed to hostile environment and when a breathing machine is essential, that is, while being outside of pressurized, heated, nicely conditioned interiors of their ships or stations. It's also okay to wear space suit when piloting a small vessel so your survival chances increase once your fighter is destroyed and you get out of your cabin (and hope to get rescued in time).
Now my idea is about wearing uniforms or civilian clothes when moving around indoors.
At first this looks like an only cosmetic feature.
Besides the immersion feeling, and possibilities to add many outfits via mods you can chose from a wardrobe in your quarters (or the kyro block), like uniforms of your favorite sci-fi TV series, wearing something less bulky than a space suit can become a game changing element in the following ways:
Advantages of wearing normal clothes:
- character becomes more agile, can move faster when walking (but not fly as there is no jetpack)
- character may perform better in repairing things, as he is not impeded by the heavy space suit
- some tools (yet to introduce) may only become usable when you are not in your space suit. Basically things which require keyboards as you don't wear thick gloves with whom it is hard to hit the keys
- you finally see if your co-player (or yourself, or future NPCs) is a male or a female, as the space suit does not hide the differences any longer, except the face, this may become a new communication tool -> when you think of animations expressing body language,
Disadvantages of wearing normal clothes:
- once your environment is loosing oxygen, temperature cannot be maintained, or you are hurled into space, due to damages to your ship/station during combat, you have to die (no instant changing into space suit with no wardrobe present)
- you are a bit more vulnerable without all the stuffing around your body
This idea needs new models for male and female engineers, opens ways of customization (just like the new spacesuit variations) and requires a new block for changing attire. I called it the wardrobe in the text, but as it also contains space suit, it is probably something more sophisticated. Like a station where you keep your personal equipment, including heavy ones.
Changing an outfit should not be done instantly but require a period while you dress and undress (a minute), to avoid exploitation in multiplayer situations. Helped by the need of a near wardrobe/equip station to perform the changing.
shared this idea 20/08/17 12:18